Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dream Doctor blog tour



“I didn’t expect to be woken up by someone I don’t know dreaming about killing somebody.  I thought I was done with that once and for all…”

But Sara’s not done with it.  As if adjusting to life as a newlywed and starting medical school weren’t difficult enough, she’s started seeing the dreams of everyone around her, again.  Before everything is said and done, those dreams might destroy Sara’s hopes of becoming a doctor, wreck her marriage and even end her life…


“Dream Doctor” is the thrilling second novel in the Dreams series."




Interview with J.J. DiBenedetto:

Tell us a little bit about yourself:
I’m a native New Yorker, although I’ve lived in the Washington, DC area for the last 18 years.  I’m married to the wonderful, beautiful Cathey, and I’m the proud owner (or maybe property) of a tortoiseshell cat.  I’ve been writing ever since junior high school, I’m a huge science fiction and fantasy geek, I’m a devoted opera lover, a rabid New York Giants fan and (I like to think) a pretty nice guy, all in all.

What inspired you to write?
I’ve been making up stories as long as I can remember, and writing ever since I was in junior high.  I got a little more disciplined about it after college, though.  It was a few years after college that I finally managed to finish the first really long thing – the first draft of what would eventually become “Dream Student”.  Then it sat for 10+ years because I decided it wasn’t good enough.  A year and a half ago, though, a friend of mine sold her first novel, and that inspired me to go back to that first draft and see if I couldn’t turn it into a real novel.  And the rest is history.

How did you come up with the title for this book?
The hard part was coming up with a title for the first book in the series.  For the longest time, I was using “Dreamchaser” (sometimes “Dreamchasers” – I went back and forth on the plural).  When I was near the end, and I realized that I wanted to continue the series and had a good idea to do it, I called the sequel “Dreamchasers, book 2”.  But then I had a brainstorm and came up with “Dream Student” for the final title of the first book.
Once I had that, “Dream Doctor” was immediately and obviously the title for this second book – Sara’s in medical school, becoming a doctor, it was a perfect fit. 

Can you tell us a little about this book? Your inspiration for it?
“Dream Doctor” picks up about a year after the first book in the series.  We meet Sara again on the day of her wedding, and also as she’s about to begin medical school.  And that same day, she begins seeing other people’s dreams again. 
She’s got a lot going on in this book: surviving the first month of med school, learning about married life, and unraveling the mystery of these new dreams.  In the first book, she saw recurring dreams from one person – who was a serial killer.  This time, she’s seeing the dreams of several people, all of whom are dreaming about the death of the same person, who also happens to be one of Sara’s teachers. 
The inspiration for the book came right at the end of writing “Dream Student.”  I realized there was so much story to tell, and following Sara to medical school – and into marriage – seemed like an obvious thing to do.
As for the mystery plot I wanted to do something different than the first book.  In “Dream Student,” the problem was tracking down the killer, more like the plot of “Silence of the Lambs” (Jodie Foster knew the name of the killer, but not where he lived or how he was picking his victims, etc).  In this book, it’s more like a traditional Agatha Christie mystery – there are several suspects, all with motive and opportunity, and Sara has to figure out which one it is, ideally before they commit the murder.

Where do you see yourself, as an author, in five years?
Still writing, hopefully! 
Seriously, I see myself still learning and working to improve my writing, and in my most optimistic moments, I see the Dream Series books as being pretty successful and maybe, with a lot of luck, on the big screen (or at least as Hallmark Channel Original Movies!)

What would you like to share with your fans?
My thanks, mainly.  I am so thrilled that people have gotten some enjoyment out of my books, and I’m grateful to everyone who’s taken the time to give them (and me!) a chance.

Which author has most influenced you?
Honestly, I can’t answer that.  My writing has been influenced by basically all of the authors I read regularly.  I can’t pick one out, and in reading over my work, I can’t identify any one particular author who had the most influence.
I can say that I would kill to be able to write more like Mark Helprin, who writes the most beautiful prose I’ve ever read.  And I’d give a limb or two to have the world-building and long-term plotting skills of J.K. Rowling. 

Do you have a certain writing style/routine? Ie: listening to music while writing.
Not really.  My writing routine is – whenever there’s a block of free time, that’s my writing time.
I do like to listen to music, usually classical, always something I’m familiar with, so that the music is soothing but there’s no words to distract me, and nothing new I need to really pay attention to instead of my writing.

How many books do you have published?
Five, so far, all part of the Dream Series.  I’m working on the sixth book now, and also on an unrelated novel as well.

Where can we find you?
My website is Writing Dreams (http://www.writingdreams.net).  I’m also in Facebook, both as myself (https://www.facebook.com/james.dibenedetto.39) and with a fan page for the Dream Series (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dream-Series/107699179403603?ref=hl).  I’m also on Twitter (https://twitter.com/jjdibenedetto) and Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/349874-j-j-dibenedetto)




Author Bio:

J.J. (James) DiBenedetto was born in Yonkers, New York. He attended Case Western Reserve University, where as his classmates can attest, he was a complete nerd. Very little has changed since then.
He currently lives in Arlington, Virginia with his beautiful wife and their cat (who has thoroughly trained them both). When he's not writing, James works in the direct marketing field, enjoys the opera, photography and the New York Giants, among other interests.
The "Dreams" series is James' first published work.






LINKS:


Buy links:
Amazon:

Smashword:
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Student: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/331929
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Doctor: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296975
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Child: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296978
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Family: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296980
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Waking Dream: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349800

Barnes & Noble:
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Student: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dream-student-jj-dibenedetto/1114915766?ean=2940044622265
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Doctor: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dream-doctor-jj-dibenedetto/1114915801?ean=2940044391864
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Child: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dream-child-jj-dibenedetto/1114915810?ean=2940044391871
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Dream Family: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dream-family-jj-dibenedetto/1114915811?ean=2940044390263
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Waking Dream: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/waking-dream-jj-dibenedetto/1116739842?ean=9781490938844



1 comment:

James D said...

Thanks so much for hosting me today!