Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Dream Family blog tour



"Why is this so hard for me?  Why am I having so much trouble?  Why do I feel so helpless, so hopeless?  What the hell is wrong with me?"

After tangling with murders and mobsters, not to mention medical school and three years of residency, Sara thought she could handle anything.  And then the police show up without warning at her new office and arrest her for a crime she can't possibly have committed.  Sara's confidence, and her grip on reality, is shattered during one terrifying night in jail.

Now, the very dreams that have endangered her life and driven her to the edge of madness may be the only thing that can help Sara find herself again...

"Dream Family" is the powerful fourth novel in the "Dreams" series.

Excerpt:

I hear my mother saying goodbye, and I hear myself answering her.  Then there’s a knock at the bathroom door.  It’s Brian.  He could just come in.  It’s not locked – even if I had wanted to, I don’t think I could make my fingers do it anyway.  And besides, this is his bathroom as much as mine. 
 

But he’s knocking.  No one knocked last night.  They came in whenever they wanted, chained me up, did whatever they wanted to do with me. 
 
I pull the door open and let Brian in.  He looks at me with those beautiful browny-brown eyes, the ones I fell in love with the very first time we met.  But when we met – that woman was strong.  She was full of life.  She wasn’t a number with a barcode who gets locked up and dragged around and poked and searched and…
 
She wasn’t a weak little girl who messes herself in the back seat of a car, either.  But I am.  That’s who he’s married to now.  A filthy, tainted woman.   
 
I look at the pile of clothes.  They have to go.  Right now.  I ask Brian, “Could you get a big trash bag from the kitchen?”  He touches my arm, very gently, and I see that his is all bandaged up.  I wonder if he needed stitches?  He was down there for a long time.  I bet he did.  I don’t even remember doing that to him, but I know I did.
 
He leaves to get the bag and returns a moment later.  I pick up my ruined clothes, toss them into it, struggle to tie it up.  “Go throw it down the chute, please?”  He’s shocked.  He doesn’t understand.

“Why don’t I just go to the laundry room?  I’ll put them in the wash right now.”
 
“No!”  I look around to see who shouted.  It was so loud, it’s echoing in the bathroom.  It’s me.  I feel anger rising up.  I can’t look at that bag anymore.  Those clothes – that’s what I was wearing when – those are the clothes they made me take off…
 
…I’m standing on a pair of red footprints, my clothes in a pile next to me on the floor.  The deputy orders me to face her and I do.  She takes a latex-gloved finger and pokes it up my nose, into my mouth…
 
“No!  Throw them away!  I never want to see those goddamn clothes again! Do it!”  I put my hands over my ears to block out the echoes.  Then I hear myself, much more softly, “please?  Brian, please?  Take them away?  I – I can’t.  I – you don’t understand.  Throw them out, down the chute, out of this house, please?”
 
I watch him carefully.  It’s not just a saying – it really is possible to see the exact moment when someone’s heart breaks.  Broken heart and all, though, he does what I need him to.  He picks up the bag and carries it out of the bathroom, to the front door.  I have half a mind to follow him and make sure he really does throw it away.  I’m naked, but what does that matter?  I was already naked this morning, and they watched me.  Touched me. 
 
My heart is beating faster, my breathing is becoming shallower.  My head is starting to throb as I remember what happened this morning.  For all I know they filmed everything.  They must have cameras everywhere.  Maybe they’re watching it right now, replaying it over and over, laughing at what they did to me, what they took away from me.


Author Bio:


J.J. (James) DiBenedetto was born in Yonkers, New York. He attended Case Western Reserve University, where as his classmates can attest, he was a complete nerd. Very little has changed since then.

He currently lives in Arlington, Virginia with his beautiful wife and their cat (who has thoroughly trained them both). When he's not writing, James works in the direct marketing field, enjoys the opera, photography and the New York Giants, among other interests.

The "Dreams" series is James' first published work.

LINKS:

 

Buy links:

Amazon:


Smashword:
·         Dream Student: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/331929
·         Dream Doctor: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296975
·         Dream Child: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296978
·         Dream Family: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296980
·         Waking Dream: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349800


Barnes & Noble:

1 comment:

James D said...

Thanks for hosting me!