Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review ~ The Lockwood Chronicles Episode 6: A Second Chance

When Alexander left Madeline, she told him not to expect her to welcome him back with open arms. Now, she’s fled the memories that were all around her in London. Finding that he’s unable to tolerate such a distance between then, Alexander has followed her, all the way to New York City. There, Alexander finds himself competing for Madeline's affections, and fighting for her life. New enemies. A new friend. In the midst of all this, can they find their way back to each other?

Buy Link:

Amazon




I’ve always been a big reader. As a matter of fact, I’m told that I was already reading before I even started kindergarten—little things, of course, not Shakespeare. Over the years, I breezed through any writing assignment given to me, and even began to write on my own some during grade school. It was in high school, though, that I really began to get serious.

From the start I gravitated toward science fiction and fantasy stories. They were pretty tame and very adolescent, but I had a lot of fun writing them. I was reading books like Dune by Frank Herbert at the time, so most of what I wrote centered around outer space. It wasn’t until I started writing about vampires that I began to realistically think that I could write for a living. I read a book called The Initiation that was about vampires. The part I remember best was at the end, when the girl, who’d been turned into a vampire, allowed herself to die in the first rays of dawn rather than feed on the boy she loved. I remember that so vividly because I thought it was the most beautiful depiction of unconditional and unrequited love that I'd ever read (hey, I was a teenager, what did I know?). I immediately looked for more books like it but the selections were limited. All I could usually find were goofy stories for little kids or sappy romances for adults. I wasn’t really interested in any of those, so I thought to myself: Why don’t I write one?

Over the years, my vampires have grown and evolved with me, and now I write those ‘sappy’ romances I used to sneer about. Oh well, I’m a sappy grown-up I guess. I’ve tried writing stories more for teens, but I’ve discovered that if I try to control my characters too much, they rebel and the story becomes stagnant and boring, so I go with the flow.

When my web designer told me I was going to have to write something for her to put on an “about me” page, I cringed, and I will admit I got a little nervous. I’m a pretty solid believer in not putting too much information about yourself online, but then I realized that with any story of mine that anyone reads, they learn a little more about me. Nearly every female character that has ever allowed me to write her story has more than a trait or two borrowed from me (and no, I won’t tell you which characters, or which traits). So, ‘about me’…. Suffice it to say that, I have been in a serious relationship with the same man for more than twenty years, and so far I haven’t found a reason to ruin that with marriage. We have a geriatric dog named Sandy who thinks she’s still a puppy. I work a full-time job because I don’t want to starve to death or live in my car. And I write every chance I get.




My Review:

I have been reading each episode of The Lockwood Chronicles as they become available. They just keep getting better. The story is intriguing. It just sort of sucks you in and pins you down with an unseen force until you've read the very last page. I was so captivated by this one that I managed to start and finish it in a matter of 3 hours.

Madeline has left home. Now that Alexander is gone, living there is just too painful. The memories only serve as a reminder of what transpired between her and Lucien due to Stormy's meddling. After settling in New York City she meets a new friend. This angers Alexander, though he walked out on Madeline he has never been very far away and has always been watching over her.

Madeline faces new enemies, a new friend that wants her love, and a jealous husband that isn't quite ready to forgive.

If you haven't read the first five episodes then start with the first, I will post links to all of them below. Remember 18+

My Butterflies:



Other books in The Lockwood Chronicles:

When Madeline Connors stepped off the plane in London, she stepped into a whole new world--a dark and dangerous world that had only ever existed for her in books and movies. They met by accident-a moment's direction and she collided with Alexander Lockwood. One look into his crystal blue eyes and she was lost, in love before she even knew his name.


Amazon    B&N    Kobo    Smashwords 













Madeline and Alexander Lockwood travel to America, to Madeline's hometown in Illinois, to attend her 20 year high school reunion. But things take a turn for the decidedly worse when Alexander is drugged and kidnapped by vampire hunters. Madeline must rely on powers she’s only just learning to use in her search for Alexander, but she cannot fail. New enemies and old conspire to keep them apart. Can she find him before it’s too late?


Amazon    B&N    Kobo    Smashwords 











Alexander is behaving strangely. He’s being hostile to Madeline, refusing her advances, and leering at other women. He also realizes he’s been losing time, falling asleep at the office for no reason, and forgetting things. Then, one night, he loses control. He does something for which Madeline may never forgive him, and then he leaves the mansion, disappearing into the night.

Madeline is at a loss to explain the changes in Alexander. After 20 years together, is it possible that she never really knew him? Is it possible, that he’d been hiding such violent tendencies? And why would he do that? Why would he pretend to be something he’s not for so long? No, she’s convinced that something’s happened to him, that perhaps something’s been done to him. But how can she, a vampire of little more than two decades, hope to stand up to a one with the power of nine centuries? How can she bring him back?

Amazon    B&N    Kobo    Smashwords 


Over 900 years ago, Alexander Lockwood was just Alexander, a soldier, hoping to one day have sons to carry on his name. He didn’t expect anything beyond that as he spent his days training and his nights carousing with the other soldiers. But then he met her—and then he died. And nothing was ever the same for him again.

Madeline Lockwood had always thought that her family was ordinary. When she met Alexander, she was swept into a world that she’d only ever read about in books and saw in movies. She’d assumed that it was all a happy coincidence, his changing her world and taking her out of the ordinary.

But Madeline and Alexander had a connection that went back centuries. Perhaps their meeting in that airport was not an accident, but fate’s way of bringing together two people who’d always been destined to meet. And if it hadn’t been for one woman, the link they’d never known about, they would never have met.

Amazon    B&N    Kobo    Smashwords 


When Alexander's old friend Lucian Davignon shows up on his doorstep, mortally wounded and near death, he does what any friend would do and takes him into his home. He and Madeline help Lucian to heal and give him the time to recover. But the vampire hunter that attacked Lucian, the one that took his lover, April, from him years earlier, trailed him to the Lockwood home and now Madeline is in the same danger. Both men vow to protect her, but is Lucian's concern more than that of a friend? Have his feelings for his best friend’s wife begun to change?


Amazon     B&N     Kobo     Smashwords 








No comments: